Leon Classroom Teachers Association (LCTA) was founded in 1946 ans has a rich history.
In 2000, LCTA was a member of the Big Bend UniServ and was affiliated with the FTP-NEA. It was in this year, the FTP-NEA and Florida Education Association/United (FEA/UNITED) agreed to establish a single organization to represent the teachers and educational support personnel (ESP) in all 67 counties of the Florida. A founding convention for the new merged organization, the Florida Teachers Association (FEA,) was held in may of 2000.
As a part of one of five merged states, LCTA members benefit from the advocacy and professional development of both the National Education Association (NEA) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT.)
It is LCTA's goal to support public education professionals as they assist Leon County Schools in providing a solid foundation for our students. LCTA will participate in the following to achieve these goals:
1) Work to increase membership to increase the voice of the teacher.
2) Improve working conditions by addressing professionalism and educational resources.
3) Advocate for public education funding at the national, state, and local level to ensure the recruiting, retaining and rewarding of the most highly qualified educators.
4) Promote a positive public image by establishing consistent communication and joining community efforts to meet the needs of our students.
5) Implement Distributive Leadership to foster teacher input in administrator and teacher selection to improve morale